khaskhabar.com : Wednesday, 07 July 2021 11:13 am
Valence| British cyclist Mark Cavendish on Tuesday won the 33rd stage of his career at the Tour de France, stepping within a stage win of Eddie Merckx’s all-time record of 34 wins. The 36-year-old won Stage 10, overcoming challenges from Vout van Aert and Jasper Phillipsson. He also won stages 4 and 6 earlier in this edition of the Tour.
Slovenian cyclist Tadej Pogakar, the defending champion, will finish in the main group and retain the yellow jersey which is awarded to the overall leader.
It was an old-school, run-of-the-mill, as you read in textbook lead-out, cycling magazines, Cavendish said after the win.
We got to pull the boys to the front as fast as we can so that no one can follow you,” Cavendish said. I didn’t really do anything till the last 150 meters because of my team.
Stage 10 was started in Albertville by 164 riders.
Phase 10 Results:
1. Mark Cavendish (UK/DSunik-Quick-Step) 4h 14m 07s
2. Vout van Aert (Belgium/Jumbo-Visma) at the same time
3. Jasper Phillipsson (Belgium/Alpesin-Phenix) at the same time
4. Nesser Bouhani (France/Archea-Samsic) at the same time
5. Michael Matthews (Australia/Team Bike-Exchange) at the same time
Overall Leader After Phase 10
1. Tadej Pogakar (Slovenia/UAE Team Emirates) 38h 25m 17s.
2. Ben O’Connor (Aus/AG2R Sirtoen) 2 min 1 sec
3. Rigobatre Uran (Colombia/EF Shiksha Nippo) plus 5 min 18 sec.
4. Jonas Winggaard (Denmark/Jumbo Visma) plus 5 min 32 sec.
5. Richard Carapaz (Ecuador/Ineos Grenadiers) plus 5 min 33 sec.
read this also – Click to read the news of your state / city before the newspaper
Web Title-Tour de France: Cavendish wins 33rd stage, nears Merckx all-time record.